Vday is the Day

...That was supposed to rhyme. And yes, I know all too well that Valentines' Day is usually divided into 2 camps, per the societal norm: 1) The "I-got-a-bae-rn-lemme-shove-it-in-ur-face-we-r-perfect-wowza"
2) The --
"I'm-alone-and-don't-care(or do, a lot)-so-get-outta-my-face-it's-an-overrated-commercialized-farce"
...and I feel both of those camps. I respectfully submit, in consideration, my own perspective: of love as something vital and deserving of appreciation (on a special day, perhaps, though why not every day?), but also not ALL-I-NEED-TO-BE-HAPPY.? ☺☺
#sorrynotsorry:
A few random lil notes before I'm done: 
*I grew up seeing v-day as a tad mushy, but more or less something to be extended to all; friends, whether same or different sex, adults, kids, etc. Of course, puberty can put a bit of a dent in that (and boy oh boy, did it) -- but here I am now, past that, and I still consider it a holiday for love -- which isn't just mushy or romantic. There's something life-giving to love, especially the deeper variety. (more on that later)
*And yes, the holiday is somewhat commercialized -- are we surprised? That doesn't have to touch the holiday itself, though, ya know? If we choose to keep it from doing so, and think/search it out. 
*I, personally, do not have a bae/significant other/boy in my life -- that doesn't mean I don't REALLY REALLY WANT ONE, as a healthy emotional sometimes overly romantic young woman can be--but that's okay. I don't know when I will have that relationship, but probably not anytime soon (although God has taken practical assumptions like that in the past and smacked me across the face with them [so to speak], so while I'm pretty confident, don't quote me on that. Boy might come along and send me spinning. ☝). I've crushed, obsessed, texted, tried out some things, and maybe sent an anonymous valentine or two (don't quote me on that either eyy??) --

yes:
-- and for now, I'm content to wait and get ready (gonna be a ready boss when tyme rolls round), while also loving that I can have a few sincere guy friendships/acquaintances, and be sincere and fun in them. 
*I have a lotta reasons for the prior stance -- and perhaps some aspects of it seem a bit odd (like me), or I haven't per se held to solidly -- but still, it's nice to have it thought out, like a game plan. I'm not ready at the moment, I don't think; I wanna cement the fundamental parts of me (career, relationship w/ God, who *I* am just as myself), before considering ROMANCCCEEE :-D. It's also kinda nice to stand out from the crowd in such a way, and it's a nice talking point, yaddda yadda yaaa. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--And now, cash-me "a comprehensive vday post covering my favorite facets of the holiday", howbowdah? ✌✌ #dank #reference 
- ̗̀ @berrysmol ̖́-:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some BACKGROUND! (because I actually like this part of it); or, My Summary of It --
Ok, so this actually interested me. From what I can find out, St. Valentine was actually a Roman priest alive during the rule of Emperor Claudius II, under whom (a) there was persecution of the church in general, and (b) an edict le Emperor issued prohibiting le marriage of young people. (wha?!?) Apparently, army manpower was really needed, and he thought it would be better for soldiers to not have wives/families to think about while battling. (I mean, yeah, but no?!?)
Anyhow, V believed (on the other hand) that marriage was a God-given rite and observance, and not something to just be prohibited...so he apparently legit encouraged young couples to get married within the church, because he'd help them do so (and then he did it secretly). Kind of a boss, really. He was eventually caught, imprisoned, and tortured for going against yon Emp's command -- and there are a lot of stories/legends surrounding his time in prison -- a jailer with a blind daughter who got healed, other stuff like that. Eventually, he was sentenced in 269 AD to, no lie, a 3-part death -- beating, stoning, and decapitation?!? All for...just that. And he went through it. Before his death, he apparently left a note to the jailer's daughter that concluded with the words, "Your Valentine". 
(I find a note of irony in that being what we use on our cards. Do our sappy little romantic occurrences carry as much weight?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...history and holidays are weird things, man.
 :
Still, it's really...sorta compelling, when I looked at it that way. There was an article I skimmed that said it well:
"What Valentine means to me...is that there comes a time where you have to lay your life upon the line for what you believe. And with the power of the Holy Spirit we can do that —even to the point of death.
"...Love—human love and sexuality is wonderful, and blessed by God—but also the shadow of the cross. That's what Valentine means to me."

~And a bit by Huffington Post said it even better: He (St. V) did what he did
"for the love of love and love of God."

...word. The two of those sum it up pretty well.



...

--BAHAAAAA! YOU THOUGHT THE POST WAS OVER? OF COURSE NOT! YES, THERE ARE 10,000 OTHER THINGS CALLING FOR MY ATTENTION, BUT WHO CARES, I'M GENEROUS WITH MY SHARING!
(is that even a thing)
(whatever)

..sooo, have a BUNCH of vids and songs and segments to celebraaaaaate! ✌❤✌❤

A nice little segment from Switchfoot re: the holiday, just posted today I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imUigBNF-TE

A lolzy vid from fave semi-sarcastic YouTube channel, Blimey Cow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReahppSfx_M

*A fairly romantical song (by Hollyn): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3rgML5pEIU
(A...more complicated song re: relationships from fave rapper, NF:
https://youtu.be/X-J2k77qf1k
*A *sniffs* sweet but kinda *tears up* sAD ROMANTICAL SONG THAT STILL GETS ME EVERY TIME DAGNABBIT ADAM YOUNG
https://youtu.be/_PkzsMak6P8
*A bit more angsty/yearning rocker ballad, via Skillet: https://youtu.be/modS0BtNVxU
*One of those, erm, dust-off songs?..also from Hollyn (gurl just dropped a hot new album and it's lit):  https://youtu.be/BNXuqhrU27s
*and, really heavy on the wistful sappiness, a bit from Anthem Lights (but still a fave, who cares): https://youtu.be/dgRFAY7gEmM

A quote from a fave author of mine:
...something more stern and splendid than mere kindness.:

A favorite related Scripture:
"Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the LORD." - Song of Songs 8:6 - Christian - Bible:

Some Lemony Snicket quotes that nailed me in the feels:
Lemony Snicket:
Lemony Snicket - The Beatrice Letters:
...tries to recover...

A "proud-independent-I'm-good"singleness quote:
Excerpt from a book I will never write #1000:

An "it'll-come-here's-some-practical-advice" quote:
-T.B. LaBerge:

A sweet FEELS singleness quote:
T.B. LaBerge - unwritten letters to you:
-----CAN'T WHAT AM I DOING TO MYSELF HERE GOSH TB LABERGE CAN U NOT---

Some *salty* singleness quotes (bc why not, I'm covering a spectrum here hehe):
tumblr_n168o9HHTr1tsbk6no1_500:
16427598_10100649580063345_4251572487717258631_n.jpg (625×469):
--:
Haaaa:
♠♢ ẇє'ŗє ғåĿĿıṅɢ Ԁєєƿ ıṅṭọ ẇọṅԀєŗĿåṅԀ ♢♠:
 :
 :
 :
Sad but true.  Except for the toads, of course.:
*BLARES (clean version of) TLC's No Scrubs*
...been waiting to use those. Gotta get that saline content out somehow #convenient
(and there's plenty more where that came from hehe)

...and, why not have a smattering of selected valentines:

*we got sincere and actually kinda sweet --
 :

simple and nice -- 
fancy:

--dickens being himself, and fulfilling my penchant for wordiness--
Charles Dickens, Great Expectations:
--something text-worthy -- 
oo:
some from my fave members on le sTAR TREK, HOW COULD I NOTT--

Fashion It So: This is my new favorite tumblr.:

Commander Data - Star Trek - Data and His Cat Spot - Watercolor Illustration Print:

Red Shirt Printable Valentine Card LOL #startrek #redshirt:
--can't stop won't stop --


 :
...ok, I could keep going, but this post is already ridiculous.

--oh wait, no, here's some more pathetic drivel! :D 

danktastic 


I love wholesome memes.:
tumblr
Yup:
Community Post: 13 Valentines For "Parks And Recreation" Fans:

just plain creepy
You Can't Resist Reblogging These 25 Tumblr Valentine Cards: 'do u live in a corn field':
*christian girl* creepy 
OWGH:
somethin' random from mr young (the master of smooth)
nn:
...the straightforward approach...
Remember your parents told you to take out the trash? I'm trash. They were telling you to take me out. Date me.:
--one I can't make any sense of, no matter how I look at it...
You're my lobster / FRIENDS print / WATERCOLOR / hand drawn, hand lettered by LettersbyLinds on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/219376145/youre-my-lobster-friends-print:
something painfully medical #canthelpit
Funny Medical Valentine's Day Card for instant download. Would be good for nurses or giving out to a doctor's office or in a hospital. #valentines #love #design:
fO DA SWIMMERS CAUSE yep ew
pick up line 14 Terribly painful pick up lines (21 photos):
bordering-on-pun (but not really because I REALLY DISLIKE PUNS)
great pick up line:

21 Pilots bc why not 
Twent one pilots Tyler Joseph Josh dun Skeleton clique Stay alive stay street valentine card:

...and let's end on a personal fave, cause this is getting outta control

Anti Valentines.:

PEACE OUT YA FILTHY BOOS ❤☺✌❤✌☺
so...:

happy vday
~hw 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MLK/Maya ft. Post

bugs in the system

2024 is here ?!?