MLK Day~

Happy MLK day, everyone.

...First, I'd recommend reading the Birmingham Letter, if you do nothing else today--it eloquently addresses and highlights some of the most beautiful parts of the civil rights movement, and the true attitude of African-Americans then.

http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html

--also, this is a well-spoken article (from my pastor) that I'd suggest, as well.

http://www.jdgreear.com/my_weblog/2017/01/honoring-dr-king-sanctity-of-life-two-sides-of-the-same-coin.html

As an African-American (as well as many other things #multiracialftw), this day is sometimes a heavy reminder--to deal with hatred and darkness not just without, but within. We've come so far--and there's always more ground to cover--but just from hearing the stories of my family, my friends, this story and the man itself, I have to remember what a rapidly changing journey it's been thus far; and, also, that were it not for the sacrifices of so many, I would have few rights and opportunities I do now.
Whether that was by my grandmother's being the first black female NYPD detective; my grandfather's scrubbing toilets at night so he could work his way through engineering school; or my mother's pressing on, through adversities and racism and discouragement from both sides of the racial spectrum to go to medical school (and become the first in the family to do so)...and so many other stories I've internalized over the years, I've learned the pride and progress that we hold dear isn't something to be taken lightly, forgotten, or thrown away. and, as we most proud of, it wasn't through "special-advantage" programs, hand-holding, or wishy-washy reparations, but because they (and so many more) worked hard, fought hard, trusted in One who held our value as something higher and greater than anything *any* man could put us as, and fought right--responding, as said below:

31 Remarkable Martin Luther King Jr Quotes and Sayings – Quotes and ...

--I've learned that we respond with dignity, strength, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, forgiveness in the face of whatever comes; we must choose to be different, as MLK said. Whatever ignorance, foolishness, wrongs, or slights I face--once again, from any side--I am compelled to respond as such. Otherwise, I'm no better than the ones committing wrongs.
words to live by:
...and it is because of the proven success of that--because of them--and because of the Gospel--that I still have hope.
This is the subtle truth... MLK Quote  ♢ Art credit: Alexis Lynnette  ♢:
I would put it into far more eloquent, better-thought-out words, but a higher Authority than I already has--so I'll close with that.
NKJV Verse of the Day: Galatians 3:28:

...so celebrate, and continue to do so, as we consider what's been done, and what still is to be.

~hw

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MLK/Maya ft. Post

bugs in the system

2024 is here ?!?